Saturday, November 21, 2009

School Of Athens


Art can be a mirror of society by the way it is painted. the paint itself gives the painting an whole new picture. For example in this painting Raphael has used oil paints to create a more realistic look. Also this was a new discovery that all the artists could use to give their paintings a realistic look. Another factor that helped make a piece of art a mirror image of the society are the different techniques of painting. Some of these techniques are, anatomical accuracy, light and shade, focal point, background, vanishing point.etc.The background of a painting shows what the painter knows about or is inferring where this certain scene is taking place. The vanishing point is the first technique that gave the background depth and the actual point creates a bit of questioning about what could be on the other side. Anatomical accuracy was used only after people actually knew about the human body and it's function. this technique created a better portrait of the human body which was to scale and of what the painter sa in his head.








If I had a choice to put myself in the painting of "the school of Athens" I would say I would put myself as Athena. Athena, the goddess of justice, skill, the arts, wisdom and war. She was the favorite daughter of Zeus( in my case my father). Athena was a very logical person although she was born as a goddess. In this painting Athena is speculating over the scientific people of the painting who are discussing interesting topics. Like Athena, I am very wise with my desicions and I don't like seeing injustice in the world around me. Unlike Athena I don't hold a special power or think only practically. I think practical when necessary but not always. I prefer thinking abstract to get my mind moving more. I also enjoy reading and listening to people who have made a difference and would like to do something like that. Because I have no supernatural power I can't just change everything, so I have to continue to make small differences.


No comments:

Post a Comment